This post may contain affiliate links which means we may receive a commission for purchases made through links.
If we look at the past few years, people were not so familiar with the term refresh rate. It is the frequency at which the monitor displays the images. The higher the refresh rate will be, pictures are changed smoothly. People who are involved in the graphics business will know how important the refresh rate is.
A video consists of thousands of frames; the refresh rate is the measure of the speed of changing these frames. The screen works as a flipbook, and the higher the speed of the flipping pages; will result in smoother visuals. A high refresh rate setting helps to reduce the picture blurring.
You may have experienced screen flickering in old CRT monitors due to the low refresh rate. This picture is unstable on the screen with a lower refresh rate. Undoubtedly, the LCD monitors are flicker-free, and You will not experience flickering on LCD monitors; therefore, the lower refresh rate works fine.
Some benefits of Higher refresh rates are as follow
- Smoother Scrolling
- Clearer Video
- Easy on Eyes
- High Picture Performance
- Monitor Becomes more responsive.
A very minute difference of a few hertz can make a huge difference in the picture quality.
Some high-end applications require a higher refresh rate monitor to produce smooth and high image quality. It can highly affect the picture quality of games or other graphical visuals. The refresh rate is one of the top factors that affect the responsiveness of monitors. If we compare the quality of moving images at 60 and 120 Hz, you will see a noticeable difference in the video’s smoothness.
People get confused in the terms frame rate and refresh rate, which has almost the same concept. FPS is how many frames your system is producing or drawing, while the refresh rate is how many times your monitor is refreshing the image. One should know the difference to choose the best product according to its needs.
The standard monitors have a refresh rate of 60 Hz, and high-end monitors may have refresh rates up to 240 Hz, which provide ultra-smooth picture motion. The monitor’s refresh rate can be using both buttons on the monitor or by the operating system. The refresh rate f the monitor can only be changed if the monitor Is compatible with using a higher or lower refresh rate.
One can make settings according to some application or game and can check the On-Screen monitor Display to check if your monitor supports other refresh rate settings or not. You can access the OSD by using the button on the screen. The interface of most monitors is very basic and simple. You don’t have to be professional to change the refresh rate of the monitor.
How to change the refresh rate in Display Settings?
Following are steps that you have to follow to change the refresh rate of the monitor on windows.
- Right-click on the desktop and select Display Settings from the pop-up menu. You can also access this from Settings and then Display Settings.
- Find the Advance Display Settings by scrolling down the window.
- You will see the Refresh Rate section in Advance settings.
- Select the refresh rate from the drop-down menu of the section. Choose the desired refresh rate from the menu.
- The windows will test the refresh rate for almost 15 seconds if the graphic setting looks fine; click on Keep Changes or Revert if not.
- For Older Version of Windows:
- You have to choose Display Adapter Settings from the Advanced Display Settings.
- After choosing the Display Adapter Settings, you have to click on the monitor tab and choose the drop-down menu’s desired refresh rate.
- And finally, click on OK to save changes and close the window.
One can also change the refresh rates of Mac Systems. You can choose from 5 refresh rates that are available for retina display monitors. TO change the refresh rate of the display, follow the below steps.
- Choose the Apple Menu, go to Preferences, and then click on display.
- Press and hold the Option Key. Select the button Scaled from Resolution. This will make appear refresh rate menu on the screen.
- Choose the desired refresh rate from the pop-up menu.
After changing your monitor’s refresh rate from OS, ensure that the application settings are also changed to that refresh rate for even higher quality video. If you don’t know to change the refresh rate from the application’s settings, search the internet for a method or tutorial, it can improve your movie watching or gaming experience.
Many people ask if they can change mobile displays’ refresh rate, then it is possible, but you may have to root your mobile phone and have to use third-party applications to do so, which is not recommended. It is better to find a display that has a built-in high refresh rate.
so finally i am sure you understand that how to change hz on monitor.
Also Read: Top 9-Inch Monitors.